Using Softrack to Purchase Software from BMI
- Go to https://softrack.research.cchmc.org/software and click on the ‘login’ icon in the upper right hand corner.
- Enter your CCHMC username and password and click on login.
- Once logged in, click on ‘Purchase’ in the bar above.
- Then click on the ‘Request’ button next to the software you wish to purchase or renew.
- Provide all the pertinent information needed for your request [NOTE: YOU MUST SUBMIT THE CORRECT ASSET TAG AND OS IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE NEW LICENSE KEY AND SOFTWARE].
- Once information is complete, click on ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your order. Once an order has been placed, it will be listed under “Licenses” in Softrack.
- Once the software has been deployed to the asset tag entered, you will receive a second email with the title ‘BMI Software License Confirmation’ to confirm that the new license has been installed on it.
Most software purchased through Softrack will also be listed in the Self-Service (Apple) or Software Center (Windows) applications. Software can be installed, uninstalled, and re-installed using Self-Service or Software Center. More information is available here: Self-Service and Software Center.
For more information about the new BMI Software ordering portal Softrack, please refer to https://softrack.research.cchmc.org/software/softreq/doc.
To inquire about availability on the cluster of an open-source package in which you are interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Software purchased from UC
Faculty and students of UC are eligible to purchase software from UC. However, when purchasing from UC, the license agreement states that the software can be installed only on your personally owned or UC-owned computer and not on machines owned by other institutions. Since Children’s Hospital is a separate entity from UC, installing software purchased from UC on CCHMC owned computers is a violation of that license agreement.
UC researchers are served with desktop software by UCIT. In many cases this software is licensed specifically to UC employees only (i.e., people who receive paychecks from UC) or must be run on UC-owned or controlled equipment, making it inaccessible to Cincinnati Children's personnel. Please make sure you read the license agreement carefully before you use UC software.
There is a difference in the price of software purchased from Biomedical Informatics at Children’s Hospital versus from the UC Bookstore. This difference is because UC qualifies for the educational discount whereas Children’s Hospital does not. Although Cincinnati Children’s Hospital is affiliated with UC. CCHMC is not a degree granting institution. We are a hospital, therefore we only qualify for the healthcare/non-profit discount.